What is rental allowance?
It’s a big change that you have heard from it. Rental allowance, housing allowance, huurtoeslag, it’s all the same.
If you rent a studio/apartment from us you may be eligible for rental allowance. Whether you are entitled to rental allowance and how much rental allowance you can get depends on your specific situation. To be entitled to rental allowance as a student, you must meet the following conditions:
- Are you 23 years or older? In that case, the calculated rent may not exceed € 720.42. The calculated rent is the basic rent plus € 48 of service costs. If the basic rent plus these service costs does not exceed € 720.42, you have the chance to be eligible for rental allowance.
- If you are between 18 and 23 years old, a maximum calculation rent of € 424.44 applies. Above this rental price you cannot qualify for rental allowance.
- You rent an independent studio/apartment.
- You must be registered with the municipality.
- Your income is not too high (around € 21,000).
- You do not have too much savings (around € 21,000).
An independent studio/apartment means that you have your own access door, your own living room or bedroom, your own toilet / bathroom and your own kitchen. You must also have your own house number. With this own house number you can register with the municipality. You can register with the municipality through the following link: https://www.gemeentemaastricht.nl/product/verhuizen/
PLEASE NOTE: a lot of our studios/apartments are eligible for rental allowance if you are 23 or older but this is NOT always the case. To be sure, always check with us. We can indicate whether the rental price permits rental allowance. We have no insight information of your personal situation, so we cannot provide binding advice.
Therefore, always make a test calculation on the website of the Tax Authorities through the following link: https://www.belastingdienst.nl/wps/wcm/connect/nl/toeslagen/content/hulpmiddel-proefberekening-toeslagen
You can then also apply for housing allowance through this website. You can save a lot of money if you are entitled to housing allowance so we always recommend looking at the possibilities of housing allowance. This makes the tough student life a little more pleasant or even harder of course, it depends what you will do with the extra money 😉